Monday, March 12, 2007

A Statement of Intent

And so, it all comes back to this…

“I consider it a necessary sacrifice to make a beginning and forget about it, while I try to write something better.” Ayn Rand, in regards to her play, The Night of January 16th.

I never thought I’d have occasion to quote Rand again, but her work does represent, for me, a point from which to launch. I could use a launch pad these days; I’ve been idling for far too long. I’ve been writing silly little stories since I could lift a pen, but I rarely finish them these days, and I haven’t once polished a single project for publication. I made a vow at the end of last year to devote a certain amount of time, each day of this year, to writing something, anything, even if it’s only to hone one sentence. (And yes, I can spend an hour agonizing over a sentence – quite easily, thank you very much.)

I didn’t start this year by keeping that vow, and I made another one to someone else with regards to my writing, though I never got the opportunity to keep that one. Still, all this vow-making and breaking has made all the more apparent to me the sort of woman that I’m becoming, and I want to fight against that demoness with all the power I can summon forth for battle. She doesn’t seem all that bad, at first glance. Quick-witted, sharp-tongued, brilliant, impulsive, bound to no one and no thing – but, in that last descriptor, we see her evil. She promises everything and delivers nothing.

I want to deliver something.

So, that brings us to the statement of intent. I have two projects that I am working on simultaneously, but I’m flighty enough that I need something to quell me when I become absolutely enamored with a new idea. That’s where this blog comes into play. Over the course of my week, I will, on a daily basis scribble down whatever occurs to me in a small journal, and then, at least once weekly, likely on Sunday or Monday evenings, I will expound on those scribbles in this forum. Perhaps they will be of use to me, or to you, or perhaps I just need to put something to death on paper every once in a while. We shall see what the case may be.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

We really need to get you laid.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home