Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Placeholder

"Frighten me? Yes you do frighten me. You act as though we will be together for ever. You act as if there is infinite pleasure and time without end. How can I know that? My experience has been that time always ends. In theory you are right, the quantum physicists are right, the romantics and the religious are right. Time without end. In practice we both wear a watch. If I rush at this relationship it’s because I fear for it. I fear you have a door I cannot see and that any minute now the door will open and you’ll be gone. Then what? Then what as I bang the walls like the Inquisition searching for a saint? Where will I find the secret passage? For me it’ll just be the four same walls."
- Jeanette Winterson, Written on The Body (text bolded for emphasis and relevance to later writing)

I'll probably end up writing two posts about this quote, one only tangentially relevant, entitled "My Love Affair with the Comma," and the other about the circumstances under which I have been both rusher and rushee. The first is in the works as we speak, but I'm a bit tired tonight, so it'll be a little while. The other may likely be incorporated into what I would like to make an interpersonal-relations-arc of posts here, so that I can finally get out that big-ass essay that rumbles and rolls around in my head from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home